Friday, February 20, 2009

Brandon Sanderson

I just finished a book called Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson. He is an LDS author who is going to finish the 13th book of the Wheel of Time series. So backing up... I bought this book in the airport on the way to Sitka. It was a prelude to a fantasy series by Robert Jordan that luckily was already almost finished (I hate waiting for the next book to come out). Well, before the final book was written Robert Jordan died and the series was on hold. We heard that the outline was already done and that his son was going to finish it. Well, after three years, I thought about it again and googled to find out what was going on. Jordan's wife chose Brandon Sanderson because she had read and loved the Mistborn Trilogy that he had written. So not only are we going to get the 13th book, but I had another suggestion for a new author. Our library didn't have the trilogy, but it did have a young adult book about Alcatraz. So I read it and the guy is hysterical. Maybe I appreciate his humorous sarcasm and stream-of-consciousness witticisms because I try them in my own writing and they always seem forced and just never turn out that funny. But this guy is good. The story line was good enough, but the writing was just fun! I am excited to read a book that doesn't rely on first-person commentary. I love finding new authors or genres and then reading everything I can by them. I went through my social commentary genre (1984, Brave New World, Grok...), all the books by Chaim Potok starting with The Chosen, of course everything by Orson Scott Card (he's my favorite author), and fantasy (this genre, I hope, will be almost limitless).

Well, gotta head off to McTeacher's night with the fam. More on books later

No comments:

Post a Comment